Monday, December 3, 2012

Browser Comparison

Let's face it: we've come a long way from AOL 3.0, kids.

I remember when we first got internet access at our house. After installing the fax line, I would wait patiently through the dial-up stones to access my parents' account, as I wasn't permitted my own. It could take ages to load even the most basic geocities site.

Nowadays, we have plenty more options. Here are some of my feelings on browser options:

1. Safari. Even while this review points to a slower load time and the fact that Apple is not as interested in it, Safari is usually my browser of choice for its compact, clean design and the few instances of random lock-out I've had.
2. Firefox. According to this review, Firefox 13 is incredibly fast at loading pages, especially when attempting to load multiple tabs at once. As someone who needs many browsers open at once (in instances, say, of writing papers or comparing prices of an item I wish to purchase) this is definitely an ideal feature.
3. Internet Explorer. As a Mac user, this is not a browser of choice. It is also apparently behind on updates (according to PC Mag). I'll leave this to rest with my old ThinkPad, thanks.
4. Google Chrome. While I have not used it myself extensively, this review points to its ability to load sites which have been previously visited quickly and a lower CPU usage, meaning a browser needs less computer power to load a page.

What about you? What's your favorite browser and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment