Here's a little secret about theatre artists: we love working with people from other disciplines, because it is really an opportunity to work on one facet of what we do at a time. In addition to remaining an art in its own right as acting, theatre also combines music: through the obvious form of singing, if it is a musical production, or sound design, as in other dramas. It also includes dance in some way; even in straight plays, there is an element of choreography in the blocking, or the way the actors move about stage. So when I have the chance to return to a practitioner of one of these elements, it's really a chance for me to enjoy focusing in one an aspect of theatre I may have been neglecting previously.
One subject I hope to pay particular attention to is creating community. A friend of mine who does incredible applied theatre work in many settings, including urban prisons, once commented that without a shared experience there can be no communal learning. I really value that notion and think that the process of creating community standards and culture go a long way towards deepening the work that is done in the classroom.
Okay, now I'm just rambling... I should have a functioning countdown lock when I get on my arts-education soapbox. An idea for the website? Hmm....
No comments:
Post a Comment